Sunday, November 1, 2015

Roman Citizen # 109 (illustrated by Max Rugers)

In Fables And Reflections, Augustus Caesar and Lycius spend the day sitting on thesteps of the temple near the marketplace dressed as beggars.

The marketplace is crowded and many people pass them without regard.

This citizen is spending the afternoon in the Roman market near the steps where Caesar and Lycius are sitting.

She appears in Sandman # 30, page 13, and is panel 4.

I love this portrait from Max. This man looks like what I would expect a Roman citizen would look like. The line work on his body and outfit is exceptional. I also like the reds used for this portrait. Red is not necessarily a color I associate with ancient Rome, but it works very well with this portrait and gives it a vibrancy that I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment