Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Holy Man (illustrated by Emonic)

In Worlds’ End, a sailor named Jim tells a story about a man named Hob Gadling.

One evening Jim, Hob and Gunga Din were standing on the deck of The Sea Witch and he told a story about a king who loved his wife more than anything. One day a Holy Man came to the kingdom and presented a single piece of fruit to the king. This fruit was the fruit of live and whoever ate it would live forever.

When the king asked why he did not eat the fruit himself, the Holy Man replied “Firstly, I am an old man; immortality should be given to the young, and those in good health; secondly, I desire to remain upon the karmic wheel of death and rebirth, on my path to eventual rewards far greater than living forever. Thirdly, I am too scared to taste of it.”

The King ordered that gold be brought to the Holy Man, but he refused it and left the kingdom and went on his way.

It is unknown where he went after that.

This is that Holy Man and he was beautifully drawn by Emonic. I love the details of this character. I think he did a fantastic job. This is probably one of my favorites that he’s done so far.

The Holy Man appears in Sandman # 53, on page 11 and 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment