Thursday, February 17, 2011

Emissary (The Wizard)

This is another character that nearly made me go insane.

As I mentioned with the previous Emissary (The Blank-Faced Man), while re-reading the series and making a list of all the characters in the series I noticed this wizard on multiple pages from Season Of Mists. He was typically standing near another Emissary, who happens to be The Blank-Faced Man. He is one of the Emissaries who go to the Dreaming in hopes of obtaining the Key To Hell. I thought he might be Merlin...but he's not). I looked online hoping to discover who this character was and found nothing. I asked everyone I knew and I got all sorts of strange answers, but none of them were satisfying. I asked all the comic nerds I knew and nobody knew who he was. I asked Scott and he didn't know, which was kind of surprising since he seems to know all sorts of obscure DC Universe characters. I emailed Neil Gaiman, but never got a response.

Then I heard that DC was planning on releasing the Annotated Sandman books in 2011 and 2012 and they were going to be edited by a gentleman named Leslie Klinger. I asked him. At the time he didn't know who the wizard and Blank-Faced Man were, but they were on his list of questions he had planned on asking Neil. He said that if he found out anything he would let me know and he did. According to Leslie, these characters were drawn by Kelley Jones "as part of NG's direction to draw a random crowd of people."

It was a huge relief to finally discover who these characters were...or weren't.

A special thanks goes out to Leslie Klinger for solving this mystery for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment