Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In the Beginning...

It was about six years ago that I first met Scott Mills. I loved his 4"x4" commissions and thought he would draw amazing versions of the Endless from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I was right. He drew each of the seven Endless as if he knew them like old friends. Each drawing was a perfect representation of The Endless; Dream brooding against the night sky, Desire was incredibly androgynous with just a hint of femininity, Death surrounded by skulls and the others all drawn with a familiarity of their personalities and responsibilities.

I wanted more.

I commissioned a few secondary characters; John Constantine, Master Li, Lucifer and others, over the next few years, but it wasn't until this year, 2010, that I revealed my not-so-secret scheme to Scott. I wanted them ALL, and I wanted to see how Scott would interpret each character.

Scott accepted the challenge, not quite understanding the scope of the project. As he learned the details and the depth of my obsession of getting every Sandman character, Scott's excitement grew. You, of course, remember Dream, Death and the other Endless. I'm sure you remember Hob Gadling, Merv Pumpkinhead and Rose Walker, but do you remember Cordelia or Hinnegan or Gerry? I'll give you a hint, they are all in issue #73.

This blog is going to chronicle perhaps the largest and most in depth commission project ever undertaken. Scott is going to draw portraits of every character in the Sandman universe. Any guesses to how many characters there are throughout the series? And without further delay, I present... the Portraits From The Sandman Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment